The Theosophical Society is a worldwide body whose primary object is Universal Brotherhood without distinction based on the realization that life, and all its diverse forms, human and non-human, is indivisibly One. Seen as revolutionary when it was founded in 1875, the Society draws together those of goodwill whatever their social status or ethnicity. The Mission Statement of the Theosophical Society is:
“To serve humanity by cultivating an ever-deepening understanding and realization of the Ageless Wisdom, spiritual Self-transformation, and the Unity of all Life.”
On this website you will find some of the basic ideas about theosophy. However, the Theosophical Society does not ask its members to adhere to any of these ideas in particular. Members are only expected to be in agreement with the Three Objects of our organization:
- To form a nucleus of the Universal Brotherhood of humanity without distinction of race, creed, sex, caste or colour.
- To encourage the study of comparative religion, philosophy and science.
- To investigate unexplained laws of nature and the powers latent in man.
Members of the Society are united by their search for Truth and by their determination to promote brotherhood between all peoples – of all faiths or of none. The Society strenuously upholds Freedom of Thought and is founded on the basis of the broadest tolerance and the search for truth. A genuine commitment to brotherhood, which is the first object of the Society, is the mark of a truly spiritual person.
Benefits of membership include:
- The fellowship of like-minded people in a worldwide community.
- Access to resources on the members’ area of the website, including an extensive video library and a many theosophical articles.
- Free access to the members’ lending library.
- Free copies of the journal Insight and the theosophical magazine Esoterica.
- Discounts for the Diploma in Theosophy and for many events organised by the Society.
You will also have the privilege of belonging to a tried and tested organisation which has been bringing the Great Esoteric Truths to the Western World for more than 140 years. Theosophy is the Shoreless Ocean of Universal Truth, Love and Wisdom.
We welcome anyone over the age of 10 years who is in sympathy with and Accepts the Three Objects of the Theosophical Society. Young people under the age of Eighteen must have permission from their parent or Guardian.
Anyone over eighteen who is in sympathy with the three objects of The Theosophical Society may apply to become an Associate. Being an Associate enables newcomers to be affiliated with the Society without committing to Membership right away.
For enquiries concerning your application please email our Registrar Barry Thompson or telephone 020 7563 9817. Alternatively, write to: Barry Thompson Registrar, Theosophical Society in England, 50 Gloucester Place, London W1U 8EA.
Our International Headquarters is at Adyar, Chennai, 600020 India. International Activities